Saturday, April 5, 2014

Kurt Cobain & Kairos
1:44 PM

Kurt Cobain & Kairos

 


So 20 years ago today, Kurt Cobain took his own life.  And I wanna talk about how his life inspired an album that has inspired many of you, Kairos.  He is a great example of one of my favorite Bible verse, Proverbs 1:20.

Out in the open wisdom calls aloud, she raises her voice in the public square; on top of the wall
 she cries out,
at the city gate she makes her speech:
 


Japhia Life suggested I watch a documentary on Nirvana's 1st album "Nevermind".  I remember when "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was EVERYWHERE.  However I was ignorant of what was going on for a few reasons.
  1. I was young
  2. I was black, & anything outside of hip hop & r&b was frowned upon in my house
 
The "Grunge" movement of the early 90s represented, among many things, a new standard.  An opportunity for many who considered themselves to be "outcasts" to represent freedom outside of what "normality" & "comfort" requires.  It was dirty, it was ugly, it was imperfect, & initially it could not be contained, identified, labeled or controlled.  The documentary tells the story of how belches, laughs, & off key pitches were left in the mixes.  Plenty of things that most artists would immediately delete without a second thought.  It gave the album character, weight, honesty. 
 
As for Kurt, you can ask me how God used an Agnostic to speak to me?  Simple.  We're all imperfect.  And many Christians believe God but live as if he doesn't exist.  A level of atheism, if you will.  That's why I love that scripture, as well as 1 Corinthians 10:26, because it confirms that God can use anything & anyone for anything He pleases.  When we complain that God isn't speaking, its really an example of us not being open enough to see the infinite amount of ways God can say the same thing. "I Am that I Am..." 
 
For me, I struggled heavy with what I wanted Kairos to be, what people wanted Kairos to be, & what God wanted Kairos to be.  I understand that what I have been given confronts the mindset of the world, AND the church.  Who likes to be the "bad guy"?  Who wants to dig the trail?  Most of our heroes weren't heroic until they died.  Look at any person in the Bible & the primary thing that was consistent for them was opposition.  From the leaders of the day, to their own friends, even their own thoughts, feelings & fears opposed God's plan & purpose.  & you can apply that to anybody. 
 
We all want to post the perfect picture on Instagram, always have the right thing to say.  But often, that's not us.  We wanna be perfect, but what is perfect?  Perfection is Christ & since we can't be Him, where does that leave us?  Full of belches, laughs & off key pitches that God left in the mix.  But even with those things, we have the ability to change the world. 

0 comments: