Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Dreaming Out Loud- The Breakdown
8:44 AM

Dreaming Out Loud- The Breakdown


Get it??? These jokes write themselves...


On Tuesday November 17th, 2009, with the click of a mouse button (word to Joe...none of you will get that, smh) I officially submitted all of the particulars of Dreaming Out Loud to Elohim Media Group (aka the label that payyyys me). What that means is that's it. No turning back. I can't add & remove songs at the last minute. As a matter of fact I'm only writing freestyles & avoiding songs altogether to prevent creating something that's crazy & end up making myself mad cuz I can't put it on the mixtape. So to further keep myself trapped (cuz I will, I've changed this tracklisting at least 100 times...no, seriously. 100) I'm going to leak the listing to you guys & also provide insight, bars, etc. Still no release date yet, but soon & very soon you'll have a copy in your hand/on your ipod. Leh go...

1. Life- performed by Quote
(Inspiration- Life, duh)
If you're familiar with my work, you know my projects are like movies. We've been so conditioned to look for "the girl record", "the radio smash", "the street banger", "the diss track", instead of a simple cohesive body of work. And if you're familiar with my work you also know I love to start my projects off with something that isn't traditional hip-hop, whether it be a quote (no pun intended), but usually it's a spoken word. In this case I got my Effect brother Quote to say what was in his heart. Funny thing about this piece, it was written before he even knew what a Dreaming Out Loud was. I had a conversation with him & briefly gave him the concept of the record & he said "yeah I might have something"...an hour later this was sitting in my inbox.

2. Dreaming Out Loud featuring Cos
(Inspiration- So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10)
My original plan was to set the CD off very hard, I was originallly going to use UGK- Wet Paint (google the instrumental, it's crazy). I actually wrote this after hearing some bad news. So you'll notice the 1st half of the verse is very reflective & somber & the end is triumphant & victorious. I actually wrote this to no beat & when I threw it on it matched perfectly. Ended up stumbling on this track from Zo! (one of my favorite producers on the low) & it fit the mood perfectly. I wanted to ease you into my "dreams", into my psyche.
(Highlight- God made it so easy to quit//That's prolly why He despises it//Life takes my mind for spins//When I dream, feel my son, he's kicking my ribs//Now I'm rolling around on a twin//Sitting on guilt//Pastor telling me it's all apart of life//A time to stand up, & fall apart & cry...)

3. Put In Work
(Inspiration- All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty. Proverbs 14:23)
When Monday Morning was going to be the mixtape, this was gonna be the single. I was gonna shoot a video for it & everything. I had the treatment laid out & the whole nine. This record is maybe a year & a half old, and to this day when I play it I'm still hype. I can definitely see y'all putting this one in the classic category.
(Highlight- God's my shield, filling me with His grace on a 12 hour shift, no 15 minute breaks//My co-workers trippin, at times wanna scream on em//God says hold my tongue, I get on my knees for em)

4. Theme Song
(Inspiration- John 3:17,18 "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.")
This was originally written to some other beat, I think a Red Cafe joint. I always loved Lupe- Streets On Fire & when I found the instrumental I immediately moved that rhyme over. The hook came from one of my old show intros where I'd rap over a heartbeat. Basically it's just a cry to God that says "we need You"...
(Highlight- "E-Double F-E-C-to the T is on deck//Stretching out, grab a bat, take a couple cuts//Waiting on our time to jump in like double dutch//I ain't in a rush...when God feels I'm ready then He'll hand me the rock//Man is he hot//I seen too many other cats run up the clock//On that Hot Sauce showboatin tip//But that's so over")

5. Close Your Eyes
(Inspiration- So that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men (human philosophy), but in the power of God. 1 Corinthians 2: 5)
This is like, "the faith song", I talk about basically how dumb man is & how we constantly try to match our puny minds with God & His plans. While we're worried about tomorrow, He's already got your kids kids kids lives already planned out til the day they die. And I brought up different examples of faith being tested & how difficult it is to really hang on to the word of God. I'm not blind enough to realize that it's very easy & very logical to look at the world & accept it for what it is. But faith requires us to see past that & I think that's why God is so eager to reward those who really go off faith, because it's not easy.
(Highlight- "I speak to my old friends, they worried bout my past//Speak to the young kids, they checkin for my swag//Speak to my generation, all they do is dance//But nobody's concerned with what I have in my pad//It's sad, I ask why write when they don't read?//If everybody's master, then who's teaching?//If everybody raps, then who's it reaching?//But everybody sucks, so who's leeching?")

6. Rearview (Goodbye) produced by Doc for Rough Draft Entertainment
(Inspiration- Psalm 71:20 You have allowed me to suffer much hardship, but you will restore me to life again and lift me up from the depths of the earth.)
As some of you know I made some life changing & drastic decisions over the summer. When I initially made those decisions I was scared, unsure, nervous if I had made the right choice. But over time I realized that I really had to stop worrying about what I DID and focus on what I'm DOING. I wrote this song driving in my car eating Popeye's, I'll never forget it. I had to pull over into a hotel parking lot because the words kept coming to me & I had to write them down (a rapper who writes, whodathunkit!?!) This is my "moving forward" anthem.
(Highlight- "A lotta people wanna put me to death for my thoughts//Quick to point a finger & expect a response//BUT, I'll give you a nickel to step in my socks & see if you can keep your cool when the weather is hot//And the humidity is killing me//I try to show humility & give em Jesus//While they sitting on the silly things//So I wait in the wings//And though a crown is on your head, that don't make you a king//Cuz some wings is on your back, you ain't able to fly//And you hate the future, the past stay in your mind//But all you get is dead weight, fill the space with your time...")

7. Dashboard (Hello) produced by Doc for Rough Draft Entertainment
(Inspiration- "For this is God, our God forever and ever; He will be our guide even to death." Psalm 48:14)
So to counter saying goodbye you gotta know what door you're walking into right?? I heard J. Cole say "less rearview, more dashboard" & it stuck with me. This is the point in the CD where there's no more confusion in my rhymes, I know my purpose.
(Highlight- "I could brag on what I got, but I don't//I know what I could say to sell some records but I won't//Whatever they are on, I'm not so get over in my lane...")

8. Glow In The Dark
(Isaiah 42:16 I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them.)
Y'all know I went to Glow In The Dark back in 2007 & was blown away. When NERD took the stage they performed "Spazz" for the 1st time & annihilated it. The day I got home I found the instrumental & went to work. I'm basically talking about how God's people SHOULD be light in the darkness (the world). This is the war cry section of the CD.
(Highlight- They said I'm out of my element//My messages are irrevelant//I'm just spreading all the blessings from God, they hate it...//But I relish in it//A lack of etiquette with predicates//Music is used nowadays as a sedative//I said it clear...//It's got me nodding to sleep//Fists are kicks & snares, got me bobbing & weaving//I see I'm out of their league, so I created my own sport//Tie game, seconds left, guess who's got home court?")

9. Child Of God produced by Doc for Rough Draft Entertainment
(Inspiration- I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked Revelation 3:15-17)
Those that have Wake Up 2 will recognize the sample that was used. Doc chopped that up so dirty!!!! One of, if not my favorite beat on the album. 1st verse continues where Glow In The Dark left off, but the 2nd verse kinda deals with lukewarm Christians, people who twist God's word to support their filthyness, etc.
(Highlight- "While we fighting, I understand why so many leave You//They look at your people & THAT'S how they perceive You//Headed to hell, saw God, met Him on the way//He said at all point you were all lepers at the gate...")

10. Keep Going Through Hell
(Inspiration- Consider it wholly joyful, my brethren, whenever you are enveloped in or encounter trials of any sort or fall into various temptations. Be assured and understand that the trial and proving of your faith bring out endurance and steadfastness and patience. James 1: 2-3
This is well over 2 years old, got a lot of good feedback when I put it on myspace *shudders*. Title is self explanatory. Plus I like performing this song, for whatever reason older people like this song. The kids be like "it's cool" but you see their parents dancing in the aisles, hilarious.
(Highlight- They say Armond we don't hear you, you ain't the same no more//You don't come out to kick it, you don't hang no more//With all this chaos around, how you stay so sure?//It's funny cuz I don't, that's why I stay in the Lord")

11. Rocking With The Best featuring Rich Tunes
(Inspiration- No one has greater love than to lay down his own life for his friends. John 15:13)
You already know Rich Tunes fka Ca$h is not only a partner in rhyme, but a brother to me. I literally refused to put this project out without him being on it. I was originally gonna use Let There Be Light but I wanted something uptempo that we could perform. We're all in better spaces in our lives & this track represents that. Don't forget that either one of us will grab a mic & strip your skin off your body...pause??? Unless y'all forgot Won't Do A Thing About It...need a reminder???
(Highlight- the whole flippin song)

12. The Highest
(Inspiration- Enjoy life with the woman whom you love all the days of your fleeting life which He has given to you under the sun; for this is your reward in life Ecclesiastes 9.9)

After dating & constantly getting it wrong, this is a small declaration of what I'd say 99% of (real) men out there are looking for when initially looking for a potential wife. One of my favorite songs on the album. I'll be going more into the detail of the male psyche on Monday Morning. Can I pull a lady on stage & perform this???
(Highlight- She is something I have never seen//Something that inspires me to dream//Something like a fire with a gleam//Her eye is like a beam//Strikes me down with a smile//Drives me wild when she speaks...)

13. Dreaming pt 2 (Checkpoint) produced by Pizzie for i9 Records
(Inspiration- And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the Lord will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream Numbers 12:6)
The original version of Dreaming is one of my favorite records that I've done. I heard this Alicia Keys record & instantly knew I had to do a pt 2. This might be in the realm of Closer where I keep doing them over time. My little brother Pizzie hooked the beat up in what, 3 hours??? Love this record...
(Highlight- They was plotting for my life//Scheming on my dreams//Focused on my hope//Now they leaning on my needs// Haunting all my wants//Tryna squeeze into my speech//When it starts looking funny I will speak until it ceases)

14. Blood Of God
(Inspiration- And they overcame him (Satan) by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony Revelation 12:11)
Best song on the CD...by far. Nothing else needs to be said
(Highlight- Everything...beat, hook, verses)

15. Heaven On Earth produced by Sandman for Sandman Productions(Inspiration- Don't you see that children are God's best gift, the fruit of the womb his generous legacy? Like a warrior's fistful of arrows are the children of a vigorous youth. Oh, how blessed are you parents, with your quivers full of children!
Your enemies don't stand a chance against you; you'll sweep them right off your doorstep. Psalm 127:3-5)

My kids...of course they get a song. As if I already don't talk about them enough, you probably think they're your kids. You might've heard me use this beat before but
(Highlight- I don't wanna show favortism...sorry)

16. Forgive Me(Inspiration- Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity and guilt and cleanse me and make me wholly pure from my sin! Psalm 51:2)
Self explanatory. Basically I speak on some things that I've done in my past & ask for forgiveness. And I speak on how it's human nature for us to not forgive ourselves or think we gotta do something long & drawn out for God to forgive us when all he asks is to say sorry with a pure heart & turn away from the offense. That simple.
(Highlight- Inviting shorty over to a bible study//Back of my mind wanted to see if her thighs were sturdy//My mind was dirty//I was still in church//Wanting to lay hands & ended up pinching nerves) When I wrote that, I was like whoa...

17. Scared Of Me
(Inspiration- And it shall be, when he shall be guilty in one of these things, that he shall confess that he hath sinned in that thing Leviticus 5:5)
No comment...I explain EVERYTHING on this record. A few of you that have heard it & said it's quite possibly the best thing I've ever done. I'll let you tell it
(Highlight- Not gonna give it away...)

0 comments: